06 August, 2012

Biosignature

Biosignature is a program that has been designed by world renown strength and conditioning coach, Charles Poliquin. His science and method is sound and for the vast majority of people I could imgaine that you will get some fantastic results.

The idea of Biosignature is that different fat sites indicate how different hormones in the body are functioning. For example, weight around the thighs and buttocks are to do with poor oestrogen detoxification from the body, love handles above the iliac crests have to do with too much insulin from too many carbs and stubborn belly button fat is linked to the stress hormone, cortisol.

Obviously when embarking on any fat loss program, things have to change. My first phase was to go very low carb (under 50g/day) - no fruit, definitely no starchy vegetables or sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. After I got my head around what I could eat, it was pretty easy. Although, I don't think I was meant to stay this low. Somehow I had gotten to my head that carbs are bad and they will instantly make you fat. In some people they will.

What I failed to do was to make my carb intake match my busy training and work schedule. I have had to spend the better part of half a year 'catching' up and by that I mean I have to nourish my adrenals and thyroid with the right foods, exercise and very importantly sleep.

I thought I'd share some photos. I am very aware of what people think about girls with muscles and how 'unnatural' it is. I have been asked by a few people what my experience was so here it is. Yes, I am proud of what I achieved and no, this is not the place for negativity.

Photo 1: Back shot before starting Biosig Jan, 2012.

Photo 2 - 2 weeks after extreme carb limitation. Ripped! 

Photo 3 - About 6 weeks in at about 15% body fat. 

I should also probably mention that I had time to work out 8-10 times a week - that was before uni started up and I continued for a few weeks into semester. That's a ridiculous amount of time to workout on so little carbs. Bad Mei. I wanted to work out a lot. Like I've said twice before - all or nothing kinda gal. But from the first 2 above photos in two weeks, you could probably see why I thought staying on very low carb was a good idea. I'm not going to post the now photos because I do not look like that any more!!!

Honestly, I felt great. I felt like I was on top of the world. I had heaps of energy, I had to buy new clothes and I felt strong.

As to what really happened next, I'm not too sure. I'm going to say it was stress in its many forms in my life on top of an already hectic training and diet routine. I hit adrenal fatigue and pretty sure my thyroid function got stuffed up too but I didn't realise it at the time. My sleep patterns were terrible, I'm pretty sure I got upset incredibly easily, anxiety returned and I started putting the fat back on. Hind sight - 20/20, not so good at the seeing the present.

That was my body telling me it was starving and overworked.

So that's what has lead me to the now. I am doing a lot of work on stress management through 9 hours sleep, down time and supplements, eating about 80-120g carbs/day and eating berries. I have to say that even though my body fat percentage is probably around the 18% mark, I am so much more relaxed and so many people from different parts of my life have commented on it. The body fat will come off again in its own time but as for now, time to love the body I'm in and to pay penance for what I did earlier this year.

Do I recommend the Bioignature program? Absolutely!

I loved it so much that I am doing a course to become a certified practitioner later this year.

Just make sure you listen to your body when it tells you that you are doing some really silly things to it! Numbers are not the be all end all and they certainly do not determine your worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment